JR Briggs over at Brokenstainedglass has some good thoughts on church. It’s mostly a good compilation of what others have said about church, but I think he adds his own twist to some of them and that really helps. Some of them seem to be things he’s always thought and didn’t just pick up from a book. He’s been living this stuff.
More than anything, he hits on what church needs to move away from. Though he’s speaking of his church’s new ministry, Resonate, I think it’s worth a look.
From JR’s blog:
(1) We have to move from being SPECTATORS (‘I go to church’) to PARTICIPANTS (‘I am the Church.’)
(2) In the words of Brian McLaren, we have to allow people to BELONG BEFORE THEY BELIEVE rather than BELIEVE BEFORE YOU CAN BELONG.
(3) We have to change our thinking with evangelism and the lost from THEY COME TO US to WE GO TO THEM.
(4) We have to view our worship gatherings not as a SPIRITUAL FILLING STATION but as a CATALYTIC ‘SENDING OUT’ INTO THE WEEK AHEAD.
(5) On Sunday nights when resonate is finished we do not think ‘MY WORSHIP HAS JUST ENDED’ but instead think, ‘MY WORSHIP IS JUST BEGINNING.’
(6) We change our programming approach from EXCELLENCE WILL ATTRACT PEOPLE to BROKENNESS AND AUTHENTICITY WILL UNITE PEOPLE.
(7) We shift our understanding of our role as a follower of Jesus from WHEN I DIE I WILL TAKE EARTH TO HEAVEN to WHEN I MAKE UP THIS MORNING I WILL TAKE HEAVEN TO EARTH.
(8) We shift from thinking that WE NEED A NEW DEFINITION OF HOW CHURCH SHOULD BE DONE to WE NEED A NEW DEMONSTRATION OF WHAT GOD WANTS THE CHURCH TO BE.
I have some thoughts on what JR’s up to, but for now I’ll let his words do all of the talking in this post.